Facebook's Anonymous Login
Some of my thoughts and worries on Facebook's Anonymous Login
Facebook have just announced their Anonymous Login, on the face of it it seems quite interesting and potentially very useful.
It appears that it will act just like Facebook Login does at the moment but it won't pass any extra information to the application or website for it to store.
What could be cool about Facebook Anonymous Login
- People that use it will have a low barrier to entry to things because they don't have to worry about committing their details to something.
- Apps that don't care about personal data but need it for authentication will have one less headache
What worries me about Facebook Anonymous Login
I do have some concerns.
- It is Facebook – Facebook loves knowing all these is to know about people and whilst the app that uses this might not know the user details, Facebook will.
- There is little information about how it actually works.
- The wording in one of their sections confuses me "People using your app can upgrade from Anonymous Login to Facebook Login in just a few taps." the term upgrade makes this seem like a Facebook Login lite. Very odd.
- In principal I am against the idea that Facebook is going to market this as them championing the user and anonymity – when that isn't what they stand for.
Right now it is still in very early beta.
I have applied for beta access – concerns aside I wouldn't mind having a play! Facebook are a huge company and knowing even the basics of their tech is a wise move in my opinion.