Some notes and links on WebSockets with Rails
Here's some useful points on using WebSockets with Rails
I have been doing some research on getting WebSockets running with Rails.
I wanted to share some links and notes I have found/made to make it easier for folk who will be doing their own research at some time.
This is the new Rails 4 way of using sockets. Personally, I don't like the syntax we have to use for ActionController::Live
- A discussion on Stack Overflow on if ActionController::Live is ready yet. At the time of writing the consensus seems to be probably not.
- A guide to using ActionController::Live if you wanted to have a play for yourself.
This is a gem for getting sockets running on rails. I like it, the syntax is nice and clean and can be extended to use Redis as a go between for any data.
There are other ways of achieving this, using node is one way a lot of solutions go for using things like socket.io
- One way to use socket.io within Rails
- A gem for socket.io support
- SockJS - like Socket.io but not
- There are some paid solutions (which I haven't looked at in any detail) Pusher, PubNub
Have you any experience?
I would love to chat with anyone who has had any experience with this, any great gems or samples I should be looking at?