Something I thought would be fun to talk about is the hardware and software that Elaine and I use on a daily basis to do our work.
This list will likely change over time and we aren’t passing judgement by either saying something is the best if we’re using it, or something we aren’t using isn’t good. There will also be some affiliate links in this post, you’re more than welcome to search for the items to find a non-affiliate link!
The list doesn’t include things we use specifically for certain clients.
If you have a personal recommendation for something that you think we should check out, we’re all ears! Please comment below.
Here are the physical things we use to do our job:
- we both use Mid-2014 MacBook Pros, with 2.8 GHz i5 processors, 8 GB DDR3 memory, and 13-inch retina displays
- we both use 25-inch Dell Ultrasharp U2518D Monitor as our main monitors
- we both use 21.5-inch BenQ as second/third monitors
- we both use WASD V2 87 key keyboards
- we both use crap mice, which I can’t find names or links for, moving on
- Toby uses a SONGMICS Racing Office Chair
- Elaine uses a Eliza Tinsley Gaming Chair
- we both use Bose QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones
- when travelling we do most of our work on an Early-2015 MacBook Air and an iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- we both have iPhone Xs for calls/photos/stuff on the go
Here are the non-physical things we use to do our job:
- Elaine uses Atom as her text editor of choice
- Toby uses RubyMine as his text editor of choice
- we use Slack to communicate
- for email we both use Apple Mail, our company email is with Google
- we do our accountancy using the Crunch web client
- we both use CleanMyMac to keep our machines running smoothly
- we backup with BackBlaze
- we share files with both Dropbox and Google Drive
- Toby uses Omnifocus for his task management
- Toby uses TextExpander to store links and stock replies to things
- we both use Apple Music for listening to tunes whilst we work