Fixing Elixir issues after installing High Sierra

If you experience segfaults after updating to High Sierra, here is how to fix it

If after installing High Sierra (the latest version of OSX for Macs) you notice issues with Elixir or Phoenix, the fix I’ve found is to update Erlang.

If you installed Erlang with homebrew, you can update by running;

brew upgrade erlang

I’d then suggest forcing a recompile of your project.

mix compile --force

For me the issue presented itself after update when I tried to start my Phoenix server.

It was crashing with the error segmentation fault mix phx.server.

After the Erlang upgrade and the recompile everything was good.

Thanks to Barry for spotting a typo in this article.


Recent posts View all

Ruby

How to ignore Bullet in RSpec tests

Using Bullet during a test can pick up mistakes but also has false negatives; here is an easy way to ignore them

Ruby

How we used Nokogiri to fix a sizing issue in YouTube's oEmbed

At some point, one of our calls to YouTube's oEmbed endpoint was returning videos way too small; we fixed in in our Rails application by using Nokogiri