Getting access to Channel 13 on a Raspberry Pi 3
Getting access to Channel 13 on a Raspberry Pi 3. In some countries you need to change these channels, I can show you how
I have been playing with my new RaspberryPi 3 and was wondering why I couldn’t connect to my home WiFi network. I had recently changed the channel that my network broadcasts on (so long all you suckers using channel 6!) to channel 13 so I figured that might be the reason.
To confirm I ran;
Which reports on all the channels your wireless network card can see, for me this went up to 11. This is fine for Spinal Tap but not fine for me!
The issue is that the firmware on the Pi hasn’t been set up to look for those higher channels, which is odd considering the United Kingdom allows these channels and it is a UK company.
With some help from the RasberryPi Stackexchange website I was able to piece the solution together. I want to share it here in case the question ever goes away.
What this does is;
- Sets your country code for WiFi, not all countries allow Channels 12 and 13. GB should work, as should NO.
- Updates the files used to go looking for updated software
- Updates your local software
- Updates your local operating system
- Updates your firmware
- Restarts your Pi
- Updates your firmware to 4.4.3 (master is 4.1.8 at the moment)
- Restarts your Pi again
If you run the first test we did again you should hopefully see channels 12 and 13 come up.