This morning Will Hamill asked my opinions on what I would change or add onto the Computer Science course with a view to making it more Software Developmenty (Developmenty is, in fact, a word).
Here are my initial thoughts, some of them are things I have thought would be good for a while, others came into my head this morning when mulling it over.
- At least a theoretical knowledge of version control systems. (Probably a half module)
- Practical knowledge of code reviews, bug finding and issue reporting. (Full module)
- Practical Code Security (See: OWASP Education Project) (1 Basic module, 1 Advanced module)
- A greater emphasis placed on maintainable code. (Throughout other modules)
- A greater emphasis on the need to adhere to current best practices. (Throughout other modules)
- A Testing module, with practical examples of all the different phases of testing. (Full module)
What would you change about the university course you took?